Saturday, March 15, 2003

NOT MUCH TIME TO WRITE TODAY

Not much time to type today but this is kind of what I had on my mind. This is cut and pasted from someone else's page so forgive my plagiarism. But it makes the points I wanted to make, including my children. Hope you enjoy this. If your a Christian you might want to move on and go somewhere else. - Joe

THE "BENEVOLENCE" OF "GOD"

I, for one, am sick and tired of hearing about the benevolence of the xtian "god." If he does exist, this being must have a PR department that makes the boys in Washington cream their jeans just thinking about them. By claiming to have created all of existence, "god" admits that he is personally responsible for disease, natural disaster, and other catastrophes. But the closest he ever comes to being at fault for any of it is the enigmatic "the lord works in mysterious ways." All of the glory and none of the responsibility...

I WANT THAT JOB!!!

I know there are some hard core fanatics who were told from birth that "god" only does good things, and that the devil is responsible for all of the bad stuff that happens. Well I have only one thing to say to those people - HAVE YOU EVER ACTUALLY READ YOUR BIBLE?

There are numerous references to the "good" things that "god" does. Don’t believe me? Just ask the people of Sodom and Gomorrah. Ask the people Noah didn't let on the boat. Are you trying to convince me that even the children of Sodom and Gomorrah were "evil"? Do you mean to say that Noah was the only "good" person on earth? Because I don't buy it!

How about the first born sons of Egypt? What did they do to deserve the wrath of the father of benevolence? What horrible crime did these children commit? Am I to believe that "god," who is "gracious and just," would punish these children for the sins of their parents? And not every Egyptian was responsible for the enslavement of the Israelites, yet the first born son of EVERY Egyptian family was slain. How does "god" justify that?

I know the fanatics among you are foaming at the mouth waiting to spring your favorite defense... "but that was in the old testament..." So fucking what! Are we to absolve "god" of all his past crimes? As far as I know, this "god" has yet to pay his debt to society. Or did I just miss his parole hearing.

I would also like to remind those chosen few that the old testament is also where the ten commandments are written. If part of the old testament is invalid, than the remainder must be as well. After all, how can we selectively believe portions of a "divinely inspired" piece of literature?

Does this grace allotted to the "creator" extend to us? Can I kill someone and show up to court with a prism and a flashlight to show I am sorry? That's what the rainbow was all about. Your "god" killed several hundreds of thousands of people, but, to say he was sorry, he gave us a rainbow and said, "I'll never kill everyone again." How fucking gracious of him...

But for the sake of argument, let's take a brief glance at the new testament. That's the book were "god" sends his son to be slain so that you can be forgiven of sin. That may sound like a great thing, but think about it for a second.

1) All people are born with sin. Don't be mad at me. It's xtian doctrine. (Mary alone was said to be born with out the burden of "original sin." That's what the "immaculate conception" means. Sorry to disappoint you. The other thing that you have been calling "immaculate conception" is actually "virgin birth." Don't feel too badly though. I know priests who get that one wrong.)

2) The only way "god," an all powerful being who once said "let there be light" and commanded the sun to shine, could find it in his "gracious and just" heart to forgive the shortcomings of man, a being whose creation he is solely responsible for, was to create a son and then have him murdered as part of some enigmatic "divine plan."

3) The actual bible verse that talks about this has a lot to say about the mentality of "god." It reads: "For god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son. So that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." So our choice is accept this drivel or die. They seem to over look that "or die" part don't they?

Now you may think me bitter. Well I am. You see, I had sex with my wife during her period, and, according to Leviticus 15:24, I was unclean for 7 days. On the eighth day I was supposed to bring two doves to the tent of the lord's presence and give them to the priest who would offer one as a burn offering and on as a sin offering. But I couldn't find the tent. I looked everywhere. It seems this tent is not in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

But, I wasn't truly an opponent of the xtian faith until I had children of my own. Then I recalled this little beauty. Matthew 10: 35-37 for those of you following along at home.

"For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."

I know that this is going to sound sappy. Well too bad. No one could replace the feeling you get when those kids run to meet you at the door after a hard day's work. My children love me unconditionally. They don't care if I don't give enough offering on Sunday. They don't care how much I prayed. All they know is that daddy is home.

Then I look into the eyes of my daughter or my son and I ask myself how "god," or his bastard son, could intend to set us against each other. What kind of being would do that? And how is that in the best interest of my children or me?

There is not one single creature in all of existence that holds more of my heart than those two children. If that is the price that the xtian "god" demands than fuck him! I can handle the spiritual extortion they refer to as offering. I can sit through sermons ad nauseum. But I can not love those children any less and it is impossible for me to love anything more.

No comments: