Sunday, September 10, 2006

SOUND SHAPING

When I think back to the music that most influenced my ideas on music, or how I approach it even, I think of several different artists. Here are some of the groups that have changed my way I think and feel about music all together. The first band ever was of course:

beatles. I am the Walrus



I can still remember being and my Grandma's house listening to a 45 RPM single of The Beatles thinking, "HOLY SHIT, THIS IS WHAT MUSIC IS SUPPOSED TO BE!!!!"

The next major change came around 1976. I "inherited" a 8-track from one of the neighbors down the street, a guy who was about seven years older than me.

b>Kraftwerk


Then the whole New Wave thing hit big, and this guy, of all of them, had the biggest influence on the way I think in terms of music, or how I approach it:

Gary Numan - Praying To The Aliens - Live



Later on, after I was living on my own as an adult, I remember reading a music review in People magazine of all places. It was talking about a band who does "audio sculpture." This, of all bands, deconstructed my views on music.

SKINNY PUPPY - human disease



Anyway, major groups listed here that had the most influence.

No comments: